OT and ADHD

I decided to listen to the podcast on OT and ADHD because I am interested in working in the pediatric field and ADHD is something that you always run into as an OT and with an added bonus it was a podcast starring our very own, Dr. Lancaster! While listening I learned why occupational therapists are always using the broken crayons when it comes to coloring or handwriting. During my time at Pediatrics Plus I noticed children using half the crayon but never really asked why but in the podcast I learned it's because it forces the child to use their fingers rather than their hands, which build and work on the fine motor skills and strength for the child. Another thing I found interesting/clicked with me is that we all have a type of sensory issues but the moment it becomes diagnosable and OT services are needed is when it interferes with everyday life occupations/activities. When it gets to this point, the role of the OT is to give the child resources and the tools to focus on learning and interacting with others to achieve their occupational performance at the optimal level. ADHD can definitely be managed through the use of OT where the child is able to perform at their very best. OT is amazing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Man from the South

Restoring confidence in mobility

My Why...